Monday 12 December 2016

Announcing Bottleneck Data Solutions

SPOILER ALERT: This particular blog post is a blatant self promotion for me and the various Oracle database services I am offering.

I may not have mentioned it explicitly before but I have left the corporate world of permanent employment and have gone independent to offer my services direct to clients (at reasonable rates, of course). I'm doing this through my newly created company Bottleneck Data Solutions, which has its own associated, obligatory web site.

Basically I am offering my many years of knowledge, experience and expertise on Oracle database design and performance tuning directly to clients for short term consulting engagements or longer term contracts. I'm not big on doing the self promotion thing unfortunately, but I won't succeed unless I get the message out and publicise myself one way or another. So this is a one-off post to raise awareness of what I'm offering through Bottleneck Data Solutions and make you aware that I'm available for Oracle database performance tuning, database design and development engagements.

I have also uploaded some of the SQL Scripts that I commonly use, to share with everyone. Nothing revolutionary I am afraid, just the standard "free space" and "system activity summary" type reports.

At the moment I am offering to do a free, initial Performance Review of an AWR Report. If I can spot anything obvious affecting performance in the AWR Report then I'll provide feedback to you.

Why "Bottleneck Data Solutions"? Well data is everywhere, and is the lifeblood of the modern company. But I have seen a significant number of cases where slow application performance was caused by a badly designed and implemented database. In other words, the way the data was organized and stored in the database was becoming the bottleneck, limiting how quickly data could be supplied to the application software. Solving this kind of bottleneck requires a mix of short term performance tuning to deal with the most obvious hot spots, and a longer term review of the database and redesigning the most critical parts.

Thank you for your patience. The normal service of technical blog posts will be resumed again in the future.

No comments: